Monday, July 13, 2009

How to Hand Code an Email Address for Blogger

I like almost everything about blogger except its unsophisticated linking options. When you're linking text to a url, most blogging clients give you options, allowing you to specify if you're linking to a standard url or an email address, and many give you the option of choosing whether or not you want the link to open in a new window when your reader clicks on it. Blogger doesn't give you any of those options; you have to know how to do them yourself.

Here's now to hand code an email address if you want to have your sentence show up as example A vs. B.

A: If you have any questions, please email me.

B. If you have any questions, please email me at riskybeads [at] gmail [dot] com.

Here's what email me looks like hand coded. (Note that the stars * must be deleted in order for the code to work. They are there so the code won't compile and disappear on the page.)

<*a href="mailto:riskybeads@gmail.com" target="_blank"*>email me<*/a*>

You can change the words 'email me' to be anything you want. If you don't want it to open in a new window, then it would look like this with the target="_blank" removed.

<*a href="mailto:riskybeads@gmail.com"*>email me<*/a*>


That's it!

Oh wait, one more thing! You need to use your own email address or I will steal all of your customers. hee. hee.

~Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment