Friday, April 9, 2010

Things I Wonder About - a linguistic pet peeve...


I've been wondering about this for awhile.  When did 'waiting in line' become 'waiting ON line?'  I get the heebie jeebies every time someone says 'on line.'  As I write this and look at it on the screen, I realize that maybe it's a morphed expression since we're all 'online' all the time.  But as far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as 'waiting on line.'  For that act to be possible, a line would have to be something I could get on top of...like a kitchen table or a soap box or Ashton Kutcher.  And it's not.  You don't wait 'on line,' @#%%, you wait 'in line' because you're in the line, you're a part of it just like everyone else.  A line is something you get 'in' like a hot mess or Harvard, or if it's a really good day, Ashton Kutcher.  ::ahem::

So today I was 'in line' at the bank and several traffic lights. I am now 'online' and done sharing for today.  Thanks for playing!

Image from Dumb Fruck by JAmesAP.

5 comments:

  1. I've been hearing it since before the internet became mainstream, so I think it's just a sound thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered about the "waiting online" thing too! It does not make any sense to wait "online" you are in the line! bwaa haa haa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to hear this complaint! It is waiting in line NOT on line. Also, it is calling in sick NOT calling out sick
    what is the matter with people!?

    go team english

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe it's a transliteration of a european language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I'm not the only one who notices this stuff, Lately I'm noticing a lot of people saying "I seen" and it drives me bananas

    ReplyDelete